Monday, February 27, 2012

Waterloo

Page 70-71:

"I had never actually let go of my father in the pool, preferring instead to cling to him like a koala on a eucalyptus branch during an earthquake. His determination to peel me off himself matched, but did not exceed, my determination to hold on to him."

I liked this passage a lot because it made me laugh. The simile the author used really allowed me to picture it in my head. It was both helpful in that way, and funny. This is just another example of the author's whimsical style that really added to the book. 

Page 73:

"Once we arrived, I went straight to the beach. I took a few steps into the water, where a gentle wave lifted me and I started to swim. Simple as that.

When we returned to Abadan, I proudly told my father the news. He did not believe me. He and I headed straight for the pool, where he watched in disbelief. "You, Firoozeh," he said, shaking is head, "are an odd child." "No," I said, "there was nobody yelling at me in the sea.""

Firoozeh's strength, determination, and courage prevails throughout the book. Coming to America as an immigrant was extremely challenging, however she jumped right in and wouldn't let anything stand in her way. Her learning to swim was a similar situation. When her father yelled at her in the pool, she didn't respond because she knew she deserved better than someone making her feel bad just because she was afraid of the water. When she- not her dad- was ready, she decided to take the initiative and learn to swim on her own. Despite her fears, she learned to swim on her own in the ocean. Her character is so mature, strong, and determined. She keeps amazing me when she does something so courageous as this.

1 comment: