Sunday, February 26, 2012

Save Me, Mickey

Page 17:

"When we first came to America in 1972, we knew we would be staying only for about two years. This gave us approximately 104 weekends to see everything there was to see in California. From Knott's Berry Farm to Marine World, from the Date Festival to the Garlic Festival, we saw it all. Along the way, we tasted garlic ice cream, date shakes, and cherry slushies, and other foods that we no longer remember, although we do recall the ensuing scrambles to the drugstore for Rolaids."

This is a challenge that so many people have to endure. There's always so much to see and so little time. People want to do everything, but never have enough time. I can connect this to my own life, because it seems like there's always so much to do and so little time to do it. I have school, various sports practices, games, meets, and homework. Then on the weekends I only have a limited time to do other things, so I have to pick and choose. Firoozeh and her family wanted to see all of America that they could before they left, however there was only so much they could see before their time ran out.

Page 17-18:

"Ask my father what he considers to be man's greatest creation in the twentieth century and he won't say computers, the Concorde, or knee replacement surgery. For him, "Pirates of the Caribbean" represents the pinnacle of man's creative achievement. No matter how many times my father goes on that ride, he remains as impressed as a Disneyland virgin. "Did you see that pirate leg hanging over the bridge? Could somebody remind me that it wasn't real? And the battle between the ships, geez, was I the only one ready to duck and cover? What kind of a man would think of creating something like this? A genius, that's who." I doubt even Walt Disney's mother felt as much pride in her son as my father did."

While reading this, I thought of when my family went to Disney World. My little sister was just as impressed as Kazem with the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Disney World and Disneyland really bring out the child in everyone. Coming from Iran, Kazem had never experienced anything like that before. He was already amazed by America, so Disneyland was just the icing on the cake. This passage made me smile because instead of choosing one the great medical advances of the twentieth century, Kazem would choose Disneyland. This really brings out Kazem's character. He generally loves life, and is astonished by the everyday achievements of the Americans. I think that this shows that he is truly grateful for being able to go to America. Most people would take being able to go to Disneyland whenever they wanted for granted, but Kazem is truly amazed, and wants to go there on every spare day, because he knows that he might not always have that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment