Monday, February 27, 2012

I Ran and I Ran and I Ran

Page 112:

"A fruit basket would have been nice, but instead we found that a flyer had been slipped under the door.

       Dear Brainwashed Cowards,
              You are nothing but puppets of the corrupt Shah. We will teach you a lesson you will
never forget. Death to the Shah. Death to you."

This is extremely cruel, and I couldn't believe that they would actually send that to the Iranians. Firoozeh and her family and all of the other Iranians in America have just as much of a right to be there as people born in America. It' so awful how discriminative, and mean people can be to each other. Despite the circumstances, I think that Firoozeh's parents handled the situation well. They stood their ground; knowing that they deserved to be in America. They didn't let people push them around and make them go home out of fear, rather they stayed strong and stood up for what they believed in.

Page 113:

"But his voice was drowned out by the twenty-one-gun salute announcing the arrival of the Shah's limousine. People started to cheer, but the cheering wasn't entirely cheerful. The demonstrators had crossed the road. They were stampeding toward us waving sticks with nails driven into them. People were screaming and running. Instead of Iranian flags, the lawn was suddenly covered with bloody and injured Iranians. My parents and I ran and ran and ran."

When I read this it shocked me. I knew the threats from the demonstrators had been serious, but I didn't think they would harm so many people just because of their ethnicity. It was extremely sad to read this, and know that it actually happened- happens. People don't realize that we're all equal and have the same right to live where we want. America is full of people with different nationalities, and people who are of a different nationality but born in America are discriminated and told to "go home". But they were born in America; so they are home.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you hit the nail right on the head. People who move to America now have as much right to be here as anyone who was born here because people who were born her once had relatives who moved to America and I don't think that they would have liked to be discriminated at.
    - Jackman -

    ReplyDelete